Monday, February 22, 2010

Reflections from his Grandchildren




NOAM REUVEN ­ AGE ELEVEN AND A HALF
Saba was an excellent teacher. He taught my twin brother, Jonah, and I to
play golf when we were just three years old. He got us these little golf
clubs and took us to a driving range. Later we went on a real course with
him. I remember once, he was so excited when I hit a ball high into the air
and straight. He loved to come to our house and listen to our band, called " Jew Twins". Saba was very musical. He played the piano when he was child and could play
keyboard, which is what I play. Saba taught me how to do an A Minor chord.
He also liked to see our modern dance recitals and watch us play soccer.
Saba was intelligent, graceful, nice, and kind - and always fun. I made an
acrostic with his name, MEL:
M - MARVELOUS
E - ENTHUSIASTIC
L - LOVEABLE.

JONAH RAPHAEL - AGE eleven and a half
Saba was such a good golf teacher that when I went to a one- week golf camp,
I tied for first place in the camp tournament. Saba was very creative. He
used a song, Zippity Do Dah to help us with our timing in hitting the ball.
I remember that each time we drove home from the driving range, Saba stopped
and got us smoothies for a treat. Saba liked when I played the guitar for him. He also came to many of our soccer games and liked it when we played a good game for him. Even though we live in Montclair, because of Saba I root for the Phillies and the Eagles. Saba was nice person, a supportive person and a strong person. He survived 13 years, the record at the Princeton hospital for his kind of cancer. I
think Saba survived so long because he was never lonely.

YAAKOV YEHUDAH ­ AGE TEN
Saba was smart. He was a professor and knew a lot of answers. He liked to
talk to me on the phone about sports. He also asked me about what I was
learning at Torah Academy. He came to Boston just to hear me sing in a boys
Hanukkah choir He was always happy when I came to visit. Saba never got mad
or upset and he always did chesed (acts of loving kindness.)

ADIRA CHANA ­ AGE NINE
I loved being in Ocean Grove and going to the beach with Saba. One summer my
parents let me come down all by myself. Saba taught me to make a paper
airplane and a paper cup. We played a lot of Scrabble.
Saba had the best garden. The flowers were so beautiful. He knew just what
to plant. I helped him pick raspberries and tomatoes, and also helped him
with the watering. He taught my mom and me how to make a colorful garden at
home in Montclair. Saba was funny and fun to play with. He was really, really nice and kind and sweet. He was helpful, amazing and magical.
Saba came to so many of my performances at Solomon Schecter Day School, and
my soccer games, dance recitals, and African drumming concerts. He liked
seeing me grow up. He was a good saba.


MEIR SIMCHA ­ AGE SIX
I loved going to the beach with Saba. We would dig in the sand ­ very deep.
I was a little scared of the water, so Saba threw a ball into the waves.
Then I would go in a little to get the ball when the waves brought it back.
I remember when we went to the beach together early in the morning to bless
the sun. (This blessing is said when the sun is in a certain position every
28 years.)
Saba liked to go to the playground with me and watch me go on the slide.
I look a little like Saba when he was a boy. He had blond hair like me.
Saba always gave good hugs and kisses and was proud of me.

CHANA D¹VORAH ­ AGE FOUR
Saba took me to the playground and pushed me on the swing ­ very high. Then
we came home and read a lot of books together. I colored pictures for Saba
when he was sick. He liked to watch me dance and he gave me a lot of
kisses. Saba smiled every time he saw me.

No comments:

Post a Comment