Monday, February 22, 2010

Hesped from Gabriel Silberman

For Abba


Abba was the best father I could have ever hoped for, as I can never remember a time - even a split second that he disappointed me. From my earliest memories he was my "Superman" an indestructible force that I could always count on to protect me. When I was little, I remember resting on his stomach and feeling so safe and so comfortable. As I grew older, Abba was always there for me, again, I can't recall a time that he wasn't. I was always proud of him and he seemed to figure out a solution for every problem.

He told me stories that inspired and entertained me. My favorite one was a true account that involved him trying out for the basketball team at school: While certainly not the most gifted athlete and with his parents forbidding him from playing sports (due to a heart murmur), he still made the team because the coach was impressed with the hustle he displayed while stealing the ball. This type of zest for life never waned, as I can recall some many poignant examples: his passion for singing (in Chavurah services and in the La Shir choir), his pursuit of "Active Training" ( using his ideas and techniques for engaging the learner) his love for the family and friends, and of course his will to endure stage IV lung cancer for 13 years!


My Abba was not only the best Dad, he was a close friend that I could talk to about anything, even during the most difficult of times. Again, he was there to help and direct me in all aspects of life. I recall while still ravaged with cancer, Abba's immense assistance in helping me complete my Master's Thesis. He would not allow me to procrastinate or fail as so many do in this juncture of life.

Abba never asked anything in return for all the love and passion he gave out. He only desired the best for friends and family. Abba is the definition of altruism and unselfishness. I want to thank Imma, the best mom in the world for all her love and devotion during these difficult years. Imma all of us - ( we will be there for you and we love you!


While I am grateful for all the years he defied the odds (and lived long enough to seeand love 6 grandchildren), he was taken too early for such a great and loving man. The void in my heart is so vast: I miss and I love my Abba!

No comments:

Post a Comment