Thursday, February 25, 2010

Sleeping with a Torah



When we were setting up for shiva, siddurim arrived for all the services, as
did one of the shul's Torahs.

I tried to find a place for the Torah on our
first floor, but everyone was concerned that the six grandchildren and
cousins, or even adults in a packed environment, might bump into it
and...don't even say it. The upstairs bedrooms were occupied and the
basement, with its offices and library, was filled with blow-up beds.

Someone reminded me that we had a master bedroom on the first floor. I had
simply never imagined using it for such a purpose. At first it seemed odd,
but then it seemed somehow comforting that the Torah would be near me, day
and night. I set up a bridge table on Mel's side of the bed, covered by a
beautiful white and blue Provencal tablecloth and gently placed the Torah on
it, covered with a talis.

I thought of all the Torah lessons I learned over the years, how it's simple
yet complex text has engaged me. It was hard parting with the Torah this
morning, as it was taken back to its rightful place at the synagogue.

This is the start of a transition as I will soon conclude shiva and return
to a different world, a life without Mel's physical presence. Since I have
known and loved him for fifty three of my sixty seven years, this will be
difficult. I will depend on the support and love of family and friends, as
well as the lessons I learned about life from Mel.

- Shoshana

No comments:

Post a Comment