Sunday, February 28, 2010

Reflections from Rabbi Dov Peretz Elkins

Maxine and I deeply regret that since we are in Jerusalem, it is impossible to be with Shoshana and her family at this difficult time. Mel and Shoshana were the first to suggest to me, some 20 years ago, that I become a candidate for the position of Rabbi at The Jewish Center. I have known Mel and Shoshana, both professionally and personally, for probably 3 decades. Besides respecting both of them as distinguished Jewish educators, they were dear and loyal friends, and it is with deep sorry that we mourn the passing of one of America's most devoted and talented Jewish educators, well-known in both the secular and Jewish worlds. We have fond memories of our times with the Silbermans, having visited them at Ocean Grove several times, and having co-officated at Daniel and Lisa's wedding, among countless other occasions we shared together. Shoshana was education director at TJC when I arrived, and she and Mel were both my teachers in many ways in my adjustment to Princeton and The Jewish Center. We will deeply miss Mel, and join the large chorus of his admirers and friends, of both Mel and Shoshana, who send heart-felt sympathy and condolences to the entire family on this very sad occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment